Among the quarter-turn valves, the butter valves are the most popular. They work similarly to the ball valves. These are highly sought-after in various industries. They can now be easily purchased online but it is crucial that you get to know about them first before buying one. If you want to know more about butterfly valves, then you have come to the right place.
What is a Butterfly Valve?
The butterfly valve is a disk that is connected to a rod. If the rod rotates, the disk will close by a quarter turn to a position that should be perpendicular to the flow direction. And when the valve opens, the disk then rotates back in order to allow the flow. The butterfly valves are mainly used to turn the modulating services on and off. They are the most popular among businesses because it’s lightweight, quick operation, and always available in various sizes.
Main Components of Butterfly Valves
The butterfly valves have main components – body, seal, disc, and stem. It has a very simple construction. A typical butterfly valve has a disc in the center connected to a pipe and a stem attached to an actuator outside the valve. The actuator rotates the stem by 90-degrees and the disc will move away from the valve seat. It will reposition itself parallel to the flow. During a partial rotation, it allows the flow to be proportional or throttled.
Different Types of Butterfly Valves
There are two types of butterfly valves depending on their uses. They can be concentric or eccentric. The choice of which to use will depend on the location of the stem and taking the disc and the seat into consideration.
- Centric or Concentric. Also called the resilient-seated valve, this is the most basic type of valve design. For the centric butterfly valves, the stem passes through the center of the disc. This type of valve is commonly used in low-pressure ranges.
- Eccentric. The eccentric butterfly valves are in contrast with the centric valves where the stem does not pass through the center of the disc. Instead, it passes through behind it.
- Single Off-Set. The stem of this valve is located right behind the center of the disc. This is efficient to help reduce the disc contact with the seal before the valve fully closes.
- Double Off-Set. For this valve, the stem is located behind the disc. The difference is that it has an additional offset on one side. This allows the rotating disc to run over the seat for 1 to 3 degrees.
- Triple Off-Set. This is often used in critical applications. It is designed similarly to the double offsets.
If you are looking to buy different types of valves for your business, then go ahead and visit anixusa.com/houston-valve-company. ANIX has a vast inventory of industrial valves that you can choose from. They are the best industrial valve company in Houston, Texas. So what are you waiting for? Go ahead and visit the site to check out their line of products.